COVID-19 Civil Matters
UPDATED June 28, 2021
In keeping with the Provincial Court of Alberta's reopening plan, all matters scheduled after June 11 are proceeding as scheduled.
- Pretrial conferences and applications will be conducted by telephone or Webex as directed by the court.
- For all in-person matters, safety measures will remain in place, including: masking requirements; plexiglass; physical distancing; and current COVID-19 courtroom capacity limits.
- Please refer to Regional Protocols below for specific instructions for your region.
In Edmonton and Calgary, in-person filing at the civil counters will be accepted for urgent matters only. Drop boxes are to be used for non-urgent filing. Documents placed in the drop boxes in Edmonton and Calgary will be processed as soon as reasonably possible.
The drop boxes are located at the entrances to the Calgary Court Centre and Edmonton Law Courts. Once the filing procedures have been completed, the documents may be picked up by lawyers/agents/runners and will be mailed out to self represented litigants. Please include a cheque in instances where there is a filing fee.
In areas other than Edmonton and Calgary, filing of documents regarding Provincial Court Civil matters will be accepted at the counters although drop boxes are also available in Red Dear and Wetaskiwin and their use is encouraged.
Mediations are being held as previously scheduled in both Edmonton and Calgary by telephone, Webex or Zoom as directed in the notice of mediation.
- All pretrial conferences that are scheduled to be heard by telephone or Webex are proceeding as scheduled.
- Matters that have been scheduled for June 14 and thereafter will proceed as scheduled.
- All applications will be held by teleconference or Webex.
- Staggered scheduling of applications may be implemented 9:30 a.m. each day.
We continue to encourage virtual hearings where feasible whether by telephone or Webex. Parties are to contact the local court clerks to determine availability of Webex for their matter, and to arrange scheduling.
Edmonton and Calgary Civil Division Hotlines
For scheduling concerns, please call the civil division hotlines. Those lines are:
- Edmonton: 780-422-2508
- Calgary: 403-297-7217
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19
Conduct Guide for Remote Hearings
Protocol for Booking Courtroom Technology for Remote Witness
Master Order Relating to Court's Response to COVID-19